This easy crispy tofu & veg stir-fry recipe with noodles is a great dish to make when you’re a tofu-cook-beginner! Tofu does really not taste of much at all when you try it straight from the pack. There’s zero flavour! But tofu is a great food to use when you start replacing some of your meat portions if you are thinking of reducing your overall animal product intake.
I love the marinade in this dish – I use it on so many other dishes. Like my summer black rice and hallumi salad uses the same dressing for example. I will always make my own dressing as supermarket bought ones are usually high in sugars and preservatives, plus I promise you – this one is so good!
This is a super quick mid-week recipe. The tofu is really tasty and further down I’ll add some tips of making it even quicker a dish to cook – without compromising on any flavours!
I have learned most of my tofu cooking skills from my lovely friend and fellow breast cancer sister Sarah Dixon. Sarah’s plant based cooking is fabulous, tasty and really easy. Check her out on Instagram! She’s super inspirational.
Easy crispy tofu stir fry recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 2 + leftovers if you’re lucky)
280g (1 packet) or naked firm unflavoured tofu
300g mixed stir-fry veggies
2 nests of instant wholegrain vermicelli noodles
For the Tamari dressing dressing (this will make a little more to keep in fridge)
1 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cm piece of grated ginger
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
3 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil works well too)
1/2 juice of a lime
For the Tofu coating
A little flour
Yeast flakes (I buy with added B12 and Fit D)
A little sesame oil or olive oil to fry your coated tofu in
Start with the tofu:
Remove from packaging, cut into 1cm thick slices and sandwich into a tea towel. Place a heavy dish on top or press onto the tofu inside the towel to squeeze out excess water.
Cut tofu into strips.
Pour some flour into a dish and coat each strip in flour first (this soaks up more of the water).
Add Tamara source to a second dish and coat tofu so wet all around.
Then add your yeast flakes into a third dish and coat your tofu well. Add chilli at this stage if you’d like to spice it up a bit.
Get a pan on the hob, heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry off the tofu. 1-2 minutes on each side until nice and crispy.
Get on with they veggies:
Use the same pan, high heat, add your veggies and pour over half the dressing you have made. Stir fry for about 5 minutes. Add more dressing if you like.
Whilst the veggies are cooking, cook your noodles as per packet instructions. Many only require soaking in boiling water.
Serve your noodles topped with veggies and place the tofu on top.
Here are my Top Tips for easy, quick and tasty cooking:
- 3 minute tofu: If you are short of time you do not have to coat the tofu. Make sure to press the excess water from your tofu slices with a tea towel. Then cut into cubes or strips. Add sesame oil, tofu, tamari sauce and yeast flakes into a hot pan. Stir fry for a few minutes and you will have crispy tofu. Done!
- Buy ready packaged stir fry veggies if you want to save time of chopping veg.
- Make ip lots more of the dressing. It’s SO tasty! Use on fish, chicken, salads etc. It keeps in the fridge for a good couple of weeks.
- Experiment with tofu. You can buy flavoured tofu also.
- Try mixing it up and use TEMPEH instead of TOFU. Tempeh is tofu’s fermented cousin (and actually higher in protein and nutrients than tofu).